What is Apologetics? I have been asked this question every single time I mentioned to someone that I am doing M.A. in Christian Apologetics. Surprisingly enough, I get this asked not just by the non-christians but also church going christians 🙂
Does this mean that Church should start thinking about introducing apologetics to their congregation? In my opinion, a Big Yes. Check for yourself and ask a handful of your Christian friends ‘Why he/she is a Christian?’ and see for yourself how quickly and clearly they can answer. And now you will agree with me that a majority of Christians do not know why they believe in what they believe let alone articulate their faith.
It is every christian’s responsibility to be able to explain why he/she is a Christian:
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, ‘ 1 Peter 3:15 NIV
In terms of definition, the word Apologetics is derived from the greek word “apologia” meaning “speak in return, defend oneself“. See wiki for more details on Christian Apologetics.
Now, does God really need humans to defend Him? No, not at all.
I believe that it is our way of showing Love for Him at the same time helping non-christians to understand His love and the ultimate sacrifice He has done for us. He is the beginning and the end; He is the creator of everything; He is Just, Love, only way and the one and ONLY GOD.
God blessed many people with wisdom in this aspect and these people put their heart and soul to serve God continuously by articulating many topics for us. I thank and praise God for these people and pray that HE is glorified for ever and ever. Amen!
Do you have many questions about life, purpose, evil, death, suffering, various religions, different denominations in the christian Church, contemporary topics such as LGBT, abortions and etc?
OR you understand all this but struggle articulating these topics to others that question you?? There are so many apologetics websites that can answer our questions. I have listed them here for you. Most of these organizations have official YouTube channels and Podcasts, so subscribe to watch/listen their programs and sermons.
- http://www.ratiochristi.org : Ratio Christi, a Student Apologetics Alliance, places Christian apologetics clubs at secular, liberal, religious, public, and private universities around the world in order to take part in the battle for the mind, and begin to reverse the Humanist trend of thought by providing and equipping students with the answers, or means of getting the answers, to the pressing questions of life that shape our worldview.
- http://www.mamabearapologetics.com by a group by Mothers in apologetics
- http://www.reasonablefaith.org by Willian Lane Craig
- http://www.crossexamined.org by Frank Turek
- Answering and outreaching to Muslims.
- New Age moment explained by former New Ager Steven Bancarz. Check out his website and youtube channel.
- Mormon (LDS church), Jehovah’s Witnesses and other Doctrines explained:
- LGBT — Can you be gay and Christian? Is it a sin to be gay? How do you live life without sex? How do I support my same-sex attracted Christian friend/family member? Very good resource:
I will be adding more sites as I discover them 🙂